RV camping allows you to see the British Columbia up close and personal for a fraction of the cost of a hotel. With some smart planning and savvy budgeting, you can enjoy a comfortable RV trip without breaking the bank. This guide will walk you through the ins and outs of RV camping on a budget so you can take that dream road trip you’ve been wanting to go on. We’ll cover how to choose the right affordable RV, save on food and gas, and entertain yourself inexpensively once you’re on the road. With a few simple tips, you can take the RV vacation of a lifetime while sticking to your budget. Keep reading to learn how!
RV Camping in BC on a Budget
Define Your Budget
The first step to RV camping on a budget is to figure out how much you can realistically afford to spend. It’s important to create a budget spreadsheet that includes all potential costs, not just the RV rental or purchase price.
When creating your budget, consider these expenses:
- RV rental or purchase price
- Gas and fuel
- Campsite fees
- RV park fees with hookups
- RV maintenance and repairs
- Food and beverages
- Entertainment and activities
- RV supplies and accessories
- RV storage (if not using it year-round)
Make sure to factor in costs for the entire trip, not just per day or week. It helps to research average prices in your destination area for things like gas, campsites, and RV rentals. Be thorough and realistic with your estimates.
Save on Gas
Fuel costs can quickly eat into your RV camping budget. Here are some tips to improve your RV’s gas mileage and reduce fuel costs:
- Perform regular maintenance – Things like changing the air filter, checking tire pressure, and getting routine engine checkups can all boost your MPG. Make sure to follow the maintenance schedule in your owner’s manual.
- Use fuel saver apps – Apps like GasBuddy and MPG allow you to map out the most fuel efficient routes. You can find the cheapest gas prices along your route too.
- -Drive slower – Cruising at 60-65 mph rather than 70+ mph can improve your MPG by up to 20%. The faster you drive, the more wind resistance and gas you’ll use.
- Use cruise control – Cruise control helps maintain a steady speed and avoid gas-wasting accelerations. Use it whenever possible on flat roads.
- -Coast to stops – When approaching a stoplight, take your foot off the gas early and let your momentum carry you rather than braking hard. This saves on wasted acceleration when the light changes.
- Join loyalty programs – Many gas stations offer rewards programs that can save you 5-20 cents per litre. Look especially for stations on your regular routes.
- Add skirting – Adding insulating skirting around your RV can improve aerodynamics and boost MPG. Make sure to remove it before driving.
- -Limit generator use – Run the RV generator only when needed. It can burn up to 1 gallon of gas per hour when powering A/C and appliances.
Entertainment on a Budget
One of the best things about RV camping is enjoying inexpensive activities, especially outdoor adventures. With a little creativity, you can have a fun and active trip without spending much at all. Black Sheep Camp Kootenay River has tons of free activities such as:
- Kayak the headwaters of the Columbia River system
- Paddle board the canals
- Floating down the Kootenay River
- Swim at Columbia Lake
- Laze at the Beach at Tilley Park
Enjoy Free Activities
Take advantage of the natural beauty around you by hiking scenic trails, swimming in lakes and rivers, and stargazing at night. Bring a deck of cards or travel games to play outside at your campsite picnic table. Our campground has volleyball nets, horseshoe pits, and other free amenities to keep you entertained.
RV camping can be an affordable adventure with some smart planning and budgeting. This guide has covered numerous tips for RVing on a budget, including choosing an older or used RV model, and limiting gas costs by camping closer to home.
While RVing on a budget requires more effort and sacrifice compared to luxury RV travel, the financial savings allow you to enjoy extended trips and frequent weekend getaways. Affordable RVing opens up vacations and outdoor experiences that may otherwise be out of financial reach. Choose Black Sheep Camp Kootenay River for your next budget RV camping experience. Book now for next year!